The Madisonville Miners are proud to play their home games in the friendly confines of Elmer Kelley Stadium. The stadium has been home to the Miners since the 2012 OVL season.
Elmer Kelley Stadium is owned by the City of Madisonville and located inside the beautiful Madisonville City Park. The stadium was built in 1941 as part of the Works Progress Administration but was not used until 1946 because of World War II. The stadium bricks were poured and laid on-site by WPA workers. The stadium was originally known as Municipal Stadium but later renamed in the 1970’s after Mr. Elmer Kelley, a long-time radio and sports personality in Madisonville.
After its first five years of existence, the stadium was finally utilized by the KITTY League, a Major League Baseball-affiliated Class D league that gave young players and veterans an opportunity to play the game they loved. The Chicago White Sox Class D team, the original Madisonville Miners, was the first team to call this new stadium home in 1946.
That version of the Madisonville Miners made an immediate impact on the KITTY League competition, making the playoffs in each of their first three seasons and winning the ‘Shaughnessy Playoffs’ in 1949. After slumping a few seasons, the Miners defeated the rival Union City Greyhounds in the 1952 playoffs for their second KITTY League Championship.
Although professional baseball at Elmer Kelley Stadium ended in 1955, Elmer Kelley Stadium has been used as the home field for Madisonville/North Hopkins High School and the old Madisonville High School since the 1940’s.
We look forward to seeing you at Elmer Kelley this summer!